Roast Beef with Coffee Gravy

Yes I know you are thinking coffee gravy? Yuck! I will admit it is a different dish than what many are accustomed to seeing. However, if you love coffee then give this one a try. The gravy will have a coffee flavor as well a zing to the beef. Give it a try it has a very unique flavor and is different from the ordinary roast beef you have always tried. The first time I heard about it I was skeptical but I thought what the heck, I am up for something new. I was pleasantly surprised at the taste of the gravy but I also like gourmet coffee as well. Try something new with this recipe I think you may like it.

Roast Beef with Coffee Gravy



Makes 6 servings.

2 tablespoons butter
4 pounds chuck roast
1 tablespoon butter
Salt to taste
1 onion, chopped
6 cups brewed coffee
2 cups canned mushrooms
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the roast and sear on all sides until well browned; set aside.

In the same saucepan, melt the remaining butter, add the salt and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.

Return the meat to the saucepan and pour in the coffee and the mushrooms. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 hours, turning meat over halfway through cooking time.

To make gravy: Remove a cup of the coffee mixture from the saucepan, combine with the cornstarch, stirring until smooth, and return to the simmering pan. Mix well, remove from heat and serve.

Comments

  1. Sounds delisch...but, I'm going to pass. I love my coffee. Miss it terribly. Can't drink it any more. And, I can't even drink it in a gravy. Sigh.

    Cool site. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use this with decaf also if the caffeine is a bother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment